Better Management
Better Results®
Twitter Logo LinkeIn Logo Google Plus Logo Youtube Logo Facebook Logo
Call Today: (913) 220-2200
Free Consultation Logo

Tenant FAQs Kansas City, KS & MO

As a tenant in a property managed by our property managers, you are an important part of our business. Clear communications and answers to tenant questions are an important part of our commitment to customer service. We encourage you to contact us with any questions you may have about the property you are renting. We often hear similar questions, and are answering them here on our website. Checking this page will often give you the answers you need immediately. Contact us with any question you may have. Click on a Question to see the response.

How do I report a maintenance issue for my rental home?+
For maintenance request, please contact 33rd Company Property Management by using our tenant maintenance request form or call us at (913)-220-2200 and press ‘0’. Request for maintenance go directly to the Service Desk and are handled on a routine or emergency basis, depending on the issue. If you cannot access the form, you can also call our offices at any time. For emergencies requiring police or fire response, call 911 before calling 33rd Company. If you suspect a gas leak, leave the home immediately and contact the gas company’s emergency number, then call 33rd company.
Can I paint my home or make other changes?+
Before doing any painting, installing any fixtures, or making any other changes to the property, you must have permission from your landlord. As specified in your lease agreement, you must obtain written authorization from the 33rd Company before making any changes. Contact us for further information.
Can I get information about the community from you?+
All rental homes managed by our property management company come with a binder containing information about the community, including power and other utility company information and emergency contact numbers. Keep this binder in a safe place where you can access it. At any time, you can also contact us for assistance with your relocation into your new community. We’re always glad to help tenants feel at home.
Can I install new Cable or Satellite TV Service?+
Most properties that we manage already have these services installed and ready for you to connect, after calling the cable or satellite company. If there is no pre-existing service, or you wish to change the installation, you must contact our property managers to obtain a written permission. At some properties there may be restrictions on satellite dish installations. Even with permission, all installations must be done by professionals at your expense, and any damage caused is the tenant’s responsibility. When you vacate the property the installation must remain with the property.
Can I add additional telephone lines?+
In most cases, you can. As with all such changes, you must obtain written permission from our property management company before such installation. All costs of installation are the responsibility of the tenant, and the tenant is responsible for any damages.
What happens if my employer transfers me during my lease?+
You are responsible for the full term of any fixed term lease. If you are transferred, ask your company about assistance if you must vacate during the term of your lease. Contact our property managers as soon as you know, so we can begin marketing the property to a new tenant. In most cases, you will be responsible for any re-leasing fees, advertising, turnover costs and any rent differences for the remaining term of the lease. We understand that this situation can arise, and we will work with you to resolve your obligations as quickly as possible. If you are serving in the military, provide your PCS orders to your property manager. There may be laws that apply that allow you to break your lease. Military members should discuss adding military clauses to their lease before signing the lease, to protect themselves from unexpected transfers.
Can I sub-lease my home or use it in my business?+
No. Your lease agreement clearly prohibits subletting any portion of the property or assigning the lease without written consent from our rental management company. You also may not operate a business from your rental home, including but not limited to day care, sales, business storage, or any other non-residential business activities. If you have any questions, please contact your property manager.
Can I rent steam cleaner equipment to clean my carpet before moving?+
Unfortunately, no. Your rental agreement requires that all carpets much be cleaned professionally by a carpet cleaning service approved by us.
After I move in, can I get a pet?+
 If your lease agreement does not include authorization for pets, you must contact 33rd Company Property Management for authorization. Written permission is required, and there is a pet deposit. The type of pet or permission for pets is subject to approval by the property owner. Certain breeds, such as Pit Bulls, Staffordshire Terriers, Chows, Rottweilers, Dobermans, and mixed wolf breeds are not allowed. All pets must be at least 1 year old and fully housetrained. If there is no written Pet Agreement, pets are not allowed in the property at any time, including pets owned by guests.
How and when should I provide notice that I am vacating?+
The specific terms for your lease can be found in the lease documents. Typically, notice to vacate must be received on or before the 1st of the month, and in writing. Leases usually require a minimum of 60 days’ notice, even if they have become month-to-month after the term of the lease. Written notices that arrive after the first of the month will be considered to have been received at the end of that month.
What should I do if a roommate moves out?+
If a roommate leaves, you must submit a written notice to 33rd Company. Adult tenants are jointly and singularly liable to insure that the full rent is paid. 33rd Company Property Management must provide written permission for any substitute roommate, after screening and approval. 33rd Company has no responsibility to mediate or arbitrate problems between multiple tenants, and only approved residents can occupy the property as residents. The departing roommate will still be responsible for the lease. Only a written release of obligation from 33rd Company Property Management can release that obligation.
Does a departing roommate get his security deposit back?+
33rd Company will not refund any portion of a security deposit before the termination of the lease. Remaining tenants are responsible for any reimbursement to a departing resident. Security deposits are collected to be security until the expiration of the lease, and none will be dispersed by 33rd Company Property Management until the lease termination.
What are move-in or move-out and monthly administration fees?+
A $5 per month administrative and accounting fee is applied to each month’s rent to cover the cost of recording monthly payments. Annually, tenants receive a summary of all rents paid. A separate one-time $100 administrative fee is charged for each property. Due at check-in, it covers the normal move-in and move-out administrative costs for the property, and does not cover any cleaning, damages, or other costs that are the tenant’s responsibility, This fee covers administration costs for documenting the check-in or check-out process.
When is my rent due?+
 All rent payments are due and are collected on the first day of every month. ACH / EFT rent debits are posted automatically each month as required in your lease agreement. If your automatic debit is returned by the bank or not received in our office by the first of the month, your rent will be marked as “Late” and we will send you a notification. If rent is not received by the 5th of the month, late fees will apply. For ACH / EFT returns, an NSF fee will be applied to your account. We will make a second attempt to debit your account on the 5th of the month to avoid a late fee. All late payments will become part of your rental record. This can follow you when you move to a new property or purchase a property. If your payment is late, you should contact us right away, since eviction process can begin at any time. Tenants will be held responsible for eviction, court filing, attorney, and collection costs resulting from late payments.
Can you waive my late charges, since I’m a good resident and take good care of my home?+
Unfortunately, we cannot waive late charges. We must treat all tenants and residents equally under Fair Housing laws and good business ethics. For those reasons, we enforce late charged equally for all tenants.
Will I be charged for maintenance at the property?+
If a resident damages or neglects a property and damage occurs, the resident will be charged for it. In addition, if you miss an appointment that is scheduled with one of our maintenance contractors, you may be billed for a service call. We perform a walk-through inspection with you for your protection on move-in day. The signed comprehensive move-in checklist will document any existing damage or discrepancies in the home.
What should we do if there’s an accident that causes damage?+
Contact 33rd Company Property Management right away. Our very affordable professional contractors can fix anything. Our volume rates can save you money. We’ll help you avoid emergency charges for repairs and will work to find the most affordable repair. Accidents happen. We value your honesty and quick reporting, and will do our best to provide repairs and cleaning at low cost to solve the problem.
What if the property owner defaults on the mortgage and the house gets foreclosed?+
In that unlikely event, recent federal legislation helps to protect existing tenants and lets them remain in their rental homes. Under this law, all of the terms and obligations of the original lease remain active and you can normally stay in the home through the term of the pre-existing lease. If this happens, 33rd Company Property Management will be in touch with you right away to help deal with this unlikely situation.

Service You Can Trust

Angie's List Logo Warranty Logo Better Business Bureau Logo
Green Logo

Copyright © 33rd Company, Inc.® All rights reserved.
Your use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use.

Property Management Website powered by
Tenant Screening by RentScreener | Site Map

Contact Us

Experience the best service in the industry.

Office Hours & Location
33rd Company KS LLC
DBA 33rd Company®
7301 West 129th St. Suite 100
Overland Park, KS 66213

Phone: (913)-220-2200
Fax: (913)-297-7300

Regular Office Hours:
Monday - Friday | 9am - 5pm

Affiliation Logo

33rd Company Property Management is committed to ensuring that its website is accessible to people with disabilities. All the pages on our website will meet W3C WAI's Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0, Level A conformance. Any issues should be reported to Website Accessibility Policy